This is the first day of summer, and our last day of sun until Saturday, so when Mike got home from work tonight, I didn't feel like cooking so I posed the question of...should we go to the beach?
We did! We headed out to Port Stanley to Mackie's, which is one of my favourite beach places from my childhood.
Delicious fries, hot dogs, burgers and their famous Orangeade!
Maisie had a great time...she ate a big dinner, and played on some of the $1/ride cars, that seriously, does anyone actually spend money to let their kids ride these? I was never allowed, growing up...nor am I ever going to shell out $1/ride that is basically just paying to have her meltdown 4 seconds after it's finished!! Just curious. Anyway, she was all smiles...but then, for some reason, when we visited the beach after dinner, it just did not agree with her.
 |
| Holding on for dear life! |
She was terrified...she hated walking in the sand, she didn't want anything to do with the water, and the reaction shots after the fact really say it all.
 |
| A face covered in tears and boogers. |
I'm not sure what exactly was wrong. Was it that she didn't have a long enough nap? Too close to bedtime? Or that she has so little experience in this world that everything terrifies her? Bugs, fans, beaches (apparently)...none of these things are particularly scary, and yet they scare the bejesus out of this child. Last year she was running and digging in the sand, floating in the water with me and getting her toes wet...this year is going to be a bit more of a challenge.
But after we got home, the little Dickens said to me "Mommy...can we go to the beach?" Oy.
Oh Carrie, what are we going to do. I must say it again (repeating Great Gramma) "it's just a phase".
ReplyDeleteLet's see what happens this weekend when Gramma takes her in the pool!
Loved the pictures!