Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Little Seed, What Will You Be?

I often wonder what Maisie will dream about becoming when she grows up.  As a kid, I went through many phases...I wanted to be a vet, a nurse, a teacher, a sports broadcaster and a mommy.  Of course, what I actually ended up doing for a paying job, I never wanted to do, never dreamed about doing and never ever want to do again!!  But what I am doing (and not getting paid for in money!) is my ultimate dream, and it's everything I ever thought it would be.  I'm a mommy, and that was what I truly wanted to be and probably why I never fulfilled any of my other monetary dreams...because this was what I knew I wanted!

But I'm wondering, if we were to watch our kids playing every day, and observed what it is they love to do the most, does it ever point to what their ultimate dream job will be one day?  Did you used to play something that eventually led into the job you now do?
If I were to watch what Maisie loves to do the most, it would point in so many different directions!

Making one of many cups of coffee!

1) She loves to make anything into a guitar...a broom, a stick, a paper towel tube.  Perhaps a bass guitarist in an all girl punk band!
2) She likes to make pretend coffee in her little kitchen and serve it to us.  A barista in a cute little corner coffee shop!
3) She enjoys using her little broom, or my big one to sweep the floor.  I really hope not, but maybe a cleaning lady?  (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but does anyone dream to do that job one day?!)
4) She likes giving her stuffed animals a pretend bath.  Perhaps working as a dog groomer!
5) She loves batting a ball down the hall with a stick or broom and saying she's playing hockey.  Maybe she will be the next great female hockey player!
6) She likes to take "pictures" and will hold up anything that is the shape of a camera and say "Say Cheese!!".  The next Annie Leibowitz?!
7) She's very smart, and is a tad bossy....maybe she'll be a teacher! :)

Or maybe it will be none of these things!  Maybe she will pick something completely random!  But whatever it is, I hope it is something she enjoys.  She has her whole life ahead of her, and that's a long time to spend doing something that's no fun.  It's going to be very fun to watch her grow and change her ideas of what she wants to do with her life.

As a side note, it's still freaking cold as crap here.  Today was sunny, and we were going to drive Mike to work this morning so we would have the car, but it was far too cold.  You really forget how easy it is to get around in the summer...just slap on a pair of flip flops and you're out the door!  It can't come soon enough for me!!  Almost bedtime for the little monster, which means lazy time for Mommy!  Ahhhhhh....

3 comments:

  1. It's so true! I must say, I always enjoyed playing "office" and being "in charge" :) ... I still do :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's lucky that these days, very few people have one career for 30 or 40 years. you do a little of this, a little of that...develop some talents, find out what you're not good at. It seems like there is more "living" in making a living these days.

    Also, apropos of nothing, didn't you enjoy playing school when you were little? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved playing school when I was little!! Especially cause, since my mom was a teacher (but stayed home with us), she had boxes of school-ish stuff in our basement. And we had a chalkboard. It was wicked.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! I love writing, but I also love reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Total Pageviews

SD button