Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Baby Journey

I haven't held a little newborn baby since I had one of my own...but today I did, and it stirred something inside of me...for a moment, anyway.

Mike's cousin Morgan had her baby yesterday (the one whose baby shower we went to). We took a trip to the hospital today to see the new addition to the family. We took Maisie, and she was half interested...seeing as how she's 2 going on 32, she said "he's so sweet" as she patted his leg.


But after a short time, she really didn't understand what the big deal was, and wanted to go take a walk. And she wanted to see Morgan really, really badly!

What a sweet little baby Lincoln is! He was so calm, and quiet...trying to keep his little eyes open, as if he knew there were new people to meet, and new things to see. He was very alert, and didn't mind being manhandled by all of us!


Holding his cozy little baby body, smelling his sweet baby smell, feeling his soft baby hair and seeing his cute little baby sneezes really gave me a twitch. I love babies...and now that Maisie is such a big girl, I couldn't help but think...could I do this again? But I tried to remind myself how much more fun it is with other people's babies. I'm well rested...I have a daily shower, and a bit of freedom. It's easy to think it would be a great idea when I feel like this!! But I remember back to the early days with Maisie, and I'm not sure I could go through that again. The no sleep...the feedings...the post-partum depression. It's hard. It's worth it, but hard.

And to top it all off, she was acting like quite the little stinker today. Especially after we got back from our visit, she was very unhappy...even to the point where Mike was getting frustrated...and you KNOW it's bad when he gets frustrated!! So again, would I want to add another little one onto the pile when we're in the midst of the Terrible Two's? Umm...let me think about it.....annnnd...no.

With Great Aunt Jennifer
"Maybe if I close my eyes, she won't know I'm here, and she won't mention having another baby..."
Lincoln was born in the same hospital that Maisie was. Oh, the number of times we trooped in and out of this door, going in and out of the hospital, only to be sent home because labour wasn't quite ready yet. Brought back a few memories!


And now here we were, back to where we all began for a moment. 

Parenthood is a journey...you don't know where you're going, but you know where you've been. And it's been one heck of a journey. Good days, bad days...lots of trial and error. Advice offered, and taken or not. Morgan will have similar experiences with Lincoln, and her journey is just beginning. Every age offers its own share of challenges, and while we've survived past ones and learned a little bit, there are many, many more to come. Parenthood is both an arduous AND a beautiful journey. How many life experiences can you say that about?

May you all enjoy the rest of the long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love writing, but I also love reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Total Pageviews

SD button