In most areas, I'm not good with just "letting go" and playing. My mind seems to have trouble forgetting about the fact that I'm 32, and won't let me revert back to being a kid again...unless we're colouring or playing with Play Doh, which are Maisie's two activities of choice lately (well, those and imaginary tea parties).
When I colour, my brain shuts off and I become 8 years old again. I agonize over the colour choice for Hello Kitty's bow. And with a pack of 96 crayons, that leaves us with a LOT of choices! Which incidentally, there are about 47 different shades of green, and about 15 pinks.
In fact, I love colouring so much that I've been known to stick around until the picture is finished, even after Maisie has wandered off to bigger and better things. I can't just leave it unfinished!
Aunt Karen is visiting from Florida, and she brought with her a duffel bag of Play Doh and their tools.
Cookie cutters, scissors, rolling pin and a garlic press-ish thingy has made for some very interesting sculptures and shapes.
We made a mouse, snake, caterpillar, a couch and a snowman. She would giggle uncontrollably every time we made a new creature.
Do we forget how to play because we get older, or do we get older because we forget how to play? Why do we stop playing? Is it because we think it's not cool to play once we're teenagers, and then the ability escapes us? When I used to babysit, my favourite things to do with the kids were colour and play with Barbies. There I can let my imagination fly, and I'm good at those sorts of games. I struggle with the really obscure, random toddler games, but there's nothing I love more than playing with my girl. May she never forget how to let go and just play.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Like, like, like! And it's great that she's making bugs with it. She should make a spider and scare the bejesus out of mommy! :)
ReplyDeleteI agree - any sort of pretending game or creative project was my thing. these days, I still like to pretend; it's just different. And you are still very creative! You play in the kitchen and with scrapbooking all the time! Lucky Maisie to have a mommy who still likes to play.