I try and find a little bit of beauty in every day. And really, that's not hard when I live with such a gorgeous little girl. But it's not just how she looks, it's how she is. Toddlers have this remarkable ability to find joy and beauty in almost anything (I say almost, because it's amazing how irritated they get over the smallest things...but for the point of this entry, let's just go with it).
We borrowed a 50mm lens from a friend who works with Mike, so I took it for a spin outside today. It was great...I got some awesome pics of my favourite subject. But because I'm still a camera spaz, I'm not sure why or how they're better or different. They just are.
I love how she knits her little brows together when she's talking or concerned about something.
After discovering some extreme muddy dirt in the garden, and insisting on playing with it, I made her change her coat (seriously, who makes toddler clothes WHITE?! Oh well, it cost $11 on sale).
![]() |
| We made a teeny, tiny snowman |
Not that she would ever grow tired of digging in the dirt and snow, but I brought out bubbles to mix it up a bit anyway. There's a quote from the movie "Knocked Up" that says "I wish I liked anything as much as my kids love bubbles." It's so true! These pictures certainly embody that and the true definition of pure toddler joy. I couldn't decide which ones to use, so I'm putting them all in. And if these pictures don't at least make you crack a tiny smile, then there's no hope for you.
I often realize that I can't believe I lived for 30 years in a world without this precious little girl in it.
After bath tonight, we were watching some Caillou while she drank her milk, and she said "Want to cuddle with Mommy for a minute", so she climbed up on my knee, rested her sweet shampoo-smelling head on my shoulder and said "Love you so much Mommy". It's moments like that that make me forget when my world is topsy turvy. I forget all of my insecurities and pain. And I know that someone loves me honestly and truly, and for all that I am...despite my faults. Despite the fact that I'm not always patient and I can't always meet all of her needs. But my love for her is pure, and the road goes both ways. Her faults mean nothing to me either. I love Maisie for all that she is, and for all that she will be. And the bond we have is unbreakable. She will know that I am always here for her...that she always has a safe place to land. Sometimes I can't believe that this little being who grew inside of me, has turned into this amazing little person, who learns something new, and continues to love us more every day.
At the risk of being super cheesy, one of my favourite songs is "Beauty" by Shaye. The lyrics to that song have somehow fit in with anything I have gone through in the past six years, good or bad. And no matter what kind of mood I am in when I start listening to it, I will always cry at a certain spot in the song when I hear it...and at various times they have been both good and bad tears. Today they were good ones when it came on my iTunes shuffle.
But here is the particular lyric that made me write this entry:
And the day that you spin
From your little cocoon
Well, you can't be prepared
For the beauty you'll find there
And you'll find beauty
In the toughest of places
And I will be thinking of you out there






You really captured the pure joy of being Maisie, both in pictures and words! I too remember those very feelings when you were her age, and the way I felt when you would say, totally out of the blue "I love you, Mommy!" There's nothing like these special moments! And you are recording them in such a lovely way!
ReplyDeleteYep, those pictures made me smile. And your story made me cry. Maisie is such a love!
ReplyDelete